The historical plaque program is a project of the Reisterstown Improvement Association and is funded by grant from the Preservation Alliance of Baltimore County and MD DHCD Community Legacy 2021. Reisterstown's Main Street was added to the national register by the US Department of the Interior in 1979.
The development of Main Street is closely related to early travel from western Maryland and Pennsylvania to Baltimore. It was located one day's travel from Baltimore and developed as a convenient stopping place where weary travelers could find taverns, inns, black smith shops, saddleries and wagoners. The earliest buildings, several built of log, date from the late 18 century although the town was found by John Reister in 1758.
In recent years there has been renewed interest in some of the historic buildings in Reisterstown. Earlier this year the second oldest building, the John Beckley House at 202 Main Street, was purchased by a local resident and has become coffee shop called “Reister’s Daughter”. Other recent purchases are 410 Main Street, the oldest building on Main Street, 237-239 Main Street and the former Odd Fellows Hall at 56 Main Street.